Psoriasis Treatments & Tips | My Story

5 comments


At the beginning of 2013 I started waking up in the middle of the night with tight pains in my abdomen, though at the time I thought the pain was in my chest. The pain kept getting worse until one night I was rushed to hospital. It carried on this for months, having massive attacks of pain and sickness, getting rushed to hospital and pumped full of medicines and pain killers until I was finally diagnosed with gallstones and was taken in for emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed.
They say that the pain from having a gallbladder attack is second worse to the pain of a heart attack so once I had the surgery I was relieved my ordeal was over and I could get back to my old self. But that was not the case.
I started noticing really odd patches on my scalp which I first thought I had caught some kind of disease or infection from being in hospital. My skin continued to get worse, spreading across most of my body and scalp.
I went to my local GP who diagnosed my with psoriasis, he explained that the stress and strain of the attacks and surgery my body undertook probably caused my immune system to go into overdrive and ever since then I've been trying to find ways to treat it.  
I wanted to share some tips that have helped me.


First of all here are a few facts about Psoriasis:
  • Is an immune condition which causes the skin replacement process to speed up. Normal skin cells take between 21-28 days where psoriasis skin cells replace every couple of days
  • Effects 2-3% of people in the UK
  •  Main triggers are stress, anxiety, injury to the skin, hormonal change, infection and medication.
  • You cannot catch it
  • Effects everyone differently
  • T cells triggered and over-active – act as if fighting an infection or healing a wound
  • Known as an autoimmune disease



Anybody can get it

Psoriasis can affect anybody, even celebrities suffer from it. Kim Kardashian and Cara Delevingne  are known to suffer from the disease. They are both beautiful woman who hold their head up high, especially as I must be tough being in the spotlight and being under such media pressure. They have definitely help me gain some confidence back and not to shy away because of psoriasis.





 Having psoriasis really shattered my self-esteem, at first I was ashamed, embarrassed and a little bit terrified of what was happening to me. I felt like my body had let me down and I felt like a totally different person. I felt pretty depressed about the whole situation, always hiding my body away so no one could see it.

I remember one remark where someone said “err what's up with you scalp” I just wanted the ground to swallow me up right then and there. 

  I have now got the psoriasis on my body under control and its now quite manageable, I have a lot of white marks (scarring) from where I have used steroids creams and I do have days where I break out and get the red flaky patches but it’s a lot lot better than it once was. My body plaques are generally really small patches but there are a lot and widely spread.
     My scalp on the other hand is still really bad *sad face* I get really red patches that are extremely flaky and itchy. I now get paranoid wearing black tops as the flakes full quite badly on my shoulders, basically looked like I had been snowed on. My hair is also falling out which I get down about.



 (My Scalp Psoriasis)




(White scaring from steroid creams - Excused the fat belly)




(Red patches that are being treated)


Tips & Treatments

Shampoo -

The first shampoo you will come across or most likely be recommended is a coal tar based shampoo. T-Gel is probably the most well known in this range and can be bought from any local supermarket.
Another coal tar shampoo that I had used is Capasal; I must say that these shampoos didn't really work for me. Apart from leaving my hair smelling like petrol it also made it very dry & straw like.
A shampoo that I have found has made a difference is Vichy Dercos Shampoo. It really reduced the itchiness of my scalp. 



Scalp Treatments - 

The worst thing about most scalp treatments is that they can be very greasy. The first thing you should invest in is a hair towel wrap; they are very handy for keeping the treatment contained and stops the grease from getting everywhere.
The longer you can keep it on for the better; I try and do it at least once a week, normally at the weekend so I can sleep with the treatment in.
The first treatment I tried was Doo Gro Oil, when I first started getting scalp psoriasis. The plaques on my scalp were very think & scabby. Using this oil really helped soften the scabs and help them come away from the scalp. I noticed an immediate result from this method.
Other oils I have used in this method are coconut oil (A massive must have for psoriasis all in general) & Argan oil. Both effective & great for the scalp and hair. 




Bath Time -

I personally believe that baths are very important in treating this condition. First of all they can be really distressing and relaxing which is a massive help, Second of all it a way you can soak your whole body.
My favourite soaking method is adding coconut oil to my bath, it really helps moisturise & nourish the skin. Other methods I like to use is oat baths & Dead Sea Salt. Also washing your emollient is a MUST. 


Emollients - 

Emollients must be your number one priority; it’s your new best friend.  I can’t stress enough how important it is to keep your skin moisturised.
I moisturise my body in the morning and before I go to bed every day, it is truly important to keep up with a routine like this.
If for some reason you can’t get your hands on emollient then use another kind of moisturise (preferably scent free and for sensitive skin) but make sure you moisturise!


Sunbeds

An effective treatment for psoriasis is ultraviolet light treatment; this generally would be prescribed by a dermatologist and is used in a controlled medical environment.
Obviously this treatment is not always available to everybody, so a substitute (and I use that world loosely) is using a sunbed.
I know full well the risks of using sunbeds and I use them at my own risk but 100% have a positive effect on my psoriasis. I don’t use them all the time, only when it’s really flared up and I need a little extra help to get in under control.
If you do use sunbeds only use them occasionally and at your own risk.

Prescription Steroid Creams

These creams will only be prescribed to you by a doctor; I find that ointments based steroids work better for me then cream ones. The steroids do their stuff but they work by thinning the out the skin and can leave you with scarring so I know using them is not everyone’s cuppa tea. 



Food & Drink

I will say this about most things in life but the best thing you can do for yourself is drink plenty of water. It’s the best medicine in my opinion so make sure you drink your share.
Not only do I suffer from psoriasis but I also suffer from IBS which is also an autoimmune disease and guess what, so I a gluten intolerance. Not to say they are always linked to one another but in my case it seemed to be.
Since cutting out gluten from my diet I have really noticed my skin had calmed down and in reverse I notice it flares up if I have gluten.
Other foods that are good to avoid are red meat, tomatoes and pepper as they foods can cause a flare up of the skin. 

No Naughties

This will come as no surprise but smoking and drink alcohol is sososo bad for your skin. I know it’s easier said than done about quitting smoking but if you’re really want to treat your psoriasis you really need to try.
I'm no angel, I like a nice Rose but I know full well that the next day my skin will be awful so keep to drinking in low moderation. 

Stress

It used to really annoy me when the doctors used to say “are you under stress” or “you need to be less stressed” blah blah blah.
It’s not like we choose to be stress and the issue that stresses us out aren't so easily removed from life.
It’s a bit of a vicious cycle, I get stressed about psoriasis and that causes it to be worse. 
But just try getting a good night’s sleep, take nice relaxing baths & exercise when you can. 

Covering It Up

I love wearing a good skirt or dress on a night out but I do get very self-conscious of the patches on my legs.
I like to use Hard Candy’s Glamoflague concealer to cover them up; it’s a heavy duty concealer that can be used to cover up such things as scars, birth marks and even tattoos. I will only cover them up if I need to as it’s not going to do my skin much good putting concealer on, but I have never found it to get worse either. 



I will always look to try new treatments to help treat my condition. I hope that this post may be able to help someone else in my situation. 

Have you tried any of theses tips before or got any tips of your own? Would love to hear from you. 

**Disclaimer** 
All the information provided on this is for general information purposes only and is the expressed opinion of myself. I am not providing any medical advice. You are taking all the provided information at your own risk. Please contact your local GP before for medical advise or before using any of the tip provided.

SHARE:
Next PostNewer Post Previous PostOlder Post Home

5 comments:

  1. I have it on my head too, thankfully it's at the back so you can't see the hair loss when my hair's down, but it's still annoying. Thank you SO MUCH for this post, I'll definitely try out the Vichy shampoo! xx Rebecca - UK fashion blog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca. Hope the Shampoo works for you. All the best. Leonie xx

      Delete
  2. i want to say thank you to doctor Tosin who has been my helper I've had psoriasis for good 9 years and feel kinda ashamed of myself in public but thanks to the spell cast doctor that has helped cure the herpes cos i have spent so much going to different medical center for treatment and it all result to same situation i am writing this cos i am trying to help others know some one like that Dr Tosin exist you can contact via email if u fall into any diseases or sickness tosinbalogunspiritualtemple@gmail.com or call +2347052024680

    ReplyDelete
  3. Get rid of your psoriasis now with this simple free solution.

    Shampoo For Psoriasis

    ReplyDelete
  4. psoriasis is a skin condition that looks like scaly red patches or plaques on the surface of the skin. It is chronic condition and its symptoms can make your condition worse but you can cure your disease by using psoriasis treatments . There are different types of psoriasis but the most common type is chronic plaque psoriasis. I have gained this type of knowledge from a website which I have found yesterday. In that site they have mentioned many ways by which you can cure this disease at home very easily.

    ReplyDelete

PROFESSIONAL BLOGGER TEMPLATES BY pipdig